Going For Silver - Vogue.com

Thank you for using rssforward.com! This service has been made possible by all our customers. In order to provide a sustainable, best of the breed RSS to Email experience, we've chosen to keep this as a paid subscription service. If you are satisfied with your free trial, please sign-up today. Subscriptions without a plan would soon be removed. Thank you!

ESTEEMED London-based artist Daniel Silver has collaborated with Acne on a capsule collection for spring/summer 2012 that was unveiled last night at their Dover Street flagship store alongside an exhibition of Silver's own work.

SEE THE COLLECTION

The upshot? A perfectly edited collection of Acne's signature modern silhouettes, in layered up clashing prints (set to be a huge trend for next summer). Star pieces include a collarless kid leather jacket in peach, a tribal and animal print pencil skirt, and a pair of silky tomato red trousers.

Although Silver has worked with Acne in the past (he was photographed for Acne Paper's Atelier issue at his studio last year), this was the artists first collaboration with a fashion house.

"It happened organically", explained Silver. "I met Thomas Persson, the editor of Acne Paper, at an opening of a show I was in at Lismore Castle and we became very good friends. Jonny Johansson saw the issue of the Acne paper I was photographed for and was interested to meet up with me and so we started to talk about processes of making and how it's different or similar in fashion and in art."

Silver began designing the collection in much the same way he works on fine art projects; cutting and pasting collages, without too much preconception of what the results would be, confessing, "It was then left to the design team at Acne to make sense of what I did. I was very taken with the way they translated my work into fashion."

Before moving to London to study Fine Art (at Slade, and then the RCA), Silver grew up in Israel, and with parents and grandparents hailing from Eastern Europe, South Africa and Zimbabwe. He explained how his upbringing influenced his designs for Acne, and his own art.

"The African fabrics I used are traditionally made in Holland and shipped to Africa. I came across them outside my studio in Dalston and was drawn to them more for the reason that they are around me and I like to pick from my close environment - so seeing them in Africa and seeing them here in London on people on their way to church on Sunday morning made it familiar to me. I draw from the different places I have lived in and the memories of my family's stories and places. I feel connected to these places in different ways. I draw from storytelling, myths and imagery as well as art history and archaeology of these places."

The collection will be sold exclusively at the Acne's Dover Street flagship, and a video of the collection can be viewed on the newly made over Acne website at ACNESTUDIOS.COM.

Acne, 13 Dover St, London, W1S 4LN, 0207 629 9374

SEE THE COLLECTION IN FULL

YOU SHOULD SEE: The latest Acne show...

YOU SHOULD SEE: Tali Lennox as Acne's star muse...

12 Oct, 2011


--
Source: http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNE15cjjJB7ip8zL4I_XjqJ_QyEidw&url=http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2011/10/12/acne-daniel-silver-collaboration
~
Manage subscription | Powered by rssforward.com

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.