Good Find: Revlon Luxurious Color Perl Eyeshadow in Black Galaxy

Hi everybody,

Lately, I've been surprised at how good drugstore makeup has become. Because of that, I haven't purchased any department store makeup for a long time. Well, that and the fact that I have an Etsy store that sells mineral makeup.

I was very excited when Gucci Westman, the former International Artistic Director of Lancome, moved to Revlon. During her reign at Lancome, Ms. Westman took Lancome to a new height with new formulas and interesting collections (remember that Thakoon for Lancome collection, anyone?) When she became the Global Artistic Director of Revlon, she brought in a lot of new things.

Before, Revlon was kind of boring: this brand has some seriously good products but lacks variety and creativity. At some point, I thought Revlon became a brand for senior citizens only.

And then came a big revamp. Revlon came out with three different formulas for their single eye shadows in the Luxurious Color line: perl (pearl), matte, and satin. Each will cost you around $4-5 at the drugstore. I got Black Galaxy for 99 cents when Walgreens had a discount and I got a coupon.
Revlon Luxurious Color Perle eyeshadow in Black Galaxy



See how glittery it is?
The first time I saw it, Black Galaxy jumped out and grabbed me by the hand. "Buy me, buy me!" it said. But at the time, it was not on sale and I had no coupons. When the right time came, I immediately bought it and that was the best 99 cents plus tax I've ever spent on an eyeshadow.

This eyeshadow is big and pigmented. The packaging is minimalistic yet professional and chic. Black Galaxy basically is a black eyeshadow with dark blue shimmers. I really didn't need another black eyeliner but I bought it anyways. At home, I swatched and Black Galaxy reminded me of MAC Flashtrack eyeshadow. So I did an impromptu comparison:

(Top, L-R): MAC Deep Blue Green pigment, MAC Flashtrack eyeshadow; (Bottom): Revlon Black Galaxy
Skin swatch (L-R): Deep Blue Green, Flashtrack, and Black Galaxy
The closest match to Black Galaxy is MAC Deep Blue Green pigment, which is a LE item from the Hello Kitty collection last year. Flashtrack is greener and not as pigmented. I needed to swipe 3 times for Flashtrack to show at the same intensity as Deep Blue Green and Black Galaxy.

  • The pros: pigmented, very soft and blendable, finely milled, shimmery, nice packaging
  • The cons: kind of see through while being pigmented, crease even with a good base

While this is an excellent product with high pigmentation and good blendability, it is kind of sheer. It's kind of like wearing a voile or a lace shirt that can see your skin (or your bra) underneath. I used it with MAC Bare Canvas paint pot or Art Deco eyeshadow primer and found it creasing after an hour or two. If I curled my lashes after applying makeup, the part of my eyes that had Black Galaxy would slide off. Regardless, this is still a very good eyeshadow in its price bracket.

Have you tried the new Revlon Luxurious Color eye shadows yet? What do you think?

Disclaimer: I bought this product during a sale at Walgreens.

Photobucket P.S: If you like my blog, please subscribe to my feed. Thanks a lot!


Category Article , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.