Woman diets to become kidney donor - UPI.com

Thank you for using rssforward.com! This service has been made possible by all our customers. In order to provide a sustainable, best of the breed RSS to Email experience, we've chosen to keep this as a paid subscription service. If you are satisfied with your free trial, please sign-up today. Subscriptions without a plan would soon be removed. Thank you!

Published: Sept. 20, 2011 at 11:23 AM

CHICAGO, Sept. 20 (UPI) -- An Illinois woman says she lost 135 pounds to qualify as a potential donor for her brother, diagnosed with a kidney disorder.

Sometime in the next two weeks at the University of Chicago Medical Center, Kari Roberts of Crestwood will donate a kidney to her brother Tony Bolda, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Tuesday.

"I started losing the weight as soon as I heard that he needed the transplant," Roberts, 35, said. "They wouldn't even let me be tested until I was healthy, and I was very overweight. So I started walking a mile a day, five or six days a week, and eating a low-fat diet. I right away said I would do it."

When Bolda, 40 was diagnosed in 2008, Roberts weighed 320 pounds.

After losing the 135 pounds, she was tested and found to be a perfect donor match for her brother.

A sibling match had been a long shot, said another sister, Kim Bittner.

"I have medical problems, so I couldn't even consider [donating]," said Bittner, 44. "I had a minor stroke, and my other sister Kathy had medical problems, so she wasn't even capable. So Kari was the only sibling that we had."

20 Sep, 2011


--
Source: http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNEKDCXzHJKzhyNGpyIO2tuytyUw4w&url=http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/09/20/Woman-diets-to-become-kidney-donor/UPI-35261316532211/
~
Manage subscription | Powered by rssforward.com

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.